Friday, September 16, 2011

Parables and a Caution

There are two parables that I really connect with, but these two parables are parables that are probably more often seen from only one point of view.  I happen to see them from a completely different view.  I'm not saying that my view is unique, just different from the popular.  


The first parable is the parable of the prodigal son.  Most know the parable, the two sons who are promised an inheritance.  One takes it and spends it lavishly on things of the world.  He enjoys what he considers joys of the world to then discover that he has nothing.  He finally returns home, poor, discouraged, and broken.  His father accepts him in his household and prepares a great feast to welcome him home.  His other son, the one who has stayed and done his part as a member of the household is disturbed.  Here is a man who feels it unjust that his brother get a welcome-party and yet he has never been celebrated over.  His father explains that his brother has nothing and that he has returned to him.  His father also explains that he must not worry because he still has his inheritance (eternal reward).  


The second is that parable of the talents.  The Lord gives one man five, one man two, and one man one.  The men with five and two go and make double what they had.  The man with one is afraid and he buries his.  When the Lord asks to see what they had reaped, the two men with double show the Lord and he blesses them.  But to the man who hid his is chastised and scolded for not using what was given him.


I connect with the prodigal son, but not the one who came back.  I connect with the man who stayed behind and did everything.  While some may see this as being considerably prideful, they are wrong.  I know that I am a good man.  And I know that I could be the other son.  But I see myself as he who always tries to do what's right and who never tries to leave the side of the Lord.  And yet, I see through this man's eyes.  I see others who leave, sin, indulge, and return to a great feast.  Do I have my reward?  Do I really still have my inheritance?


I connect with the third man in the parable of the talents.  I feel at times like I have only been given one or very few talents.  I look out and compare myself (which may or may not be okay or good to do) and I see so many others that have been given so much and yet I feel like I have nothing.  I have no crazy or outrageously good talents to speak of.  And that may have to do with my struggles with self-image (even self-confidence and self-esteem).  But I feel for the man who had nothing and who when given a talent buried it to keep it safe.  If you were given only one of something and didn't want to loose it, would you risk it all only to have it taken away and to have nothing again?  To those who have nothing, anything must be protected to not loose it.  I understand that this may not be the way it should be interpreted, but it is how I see it through my sorrowful eyes.


And at last, with both of these parables and other teachings of the church I give a caution.  This caution is for all those LDS or Christian.  Please do not tell someone that they will be blessed for their trials and obedience if not now, then in the life to come. Please don't make these humbled, depressed, and sad individuals feel like they have no hope in this life.  Regardless of what may or may not be true, please do not make them feel like they cannot receive any blessings now and that they must wait until they die to "receive their reward," or to "receive their inheritance."  I have suffered greatly with this and it only leads to hopelessness and feelings that lean towards suicide (even though suicide is a topic with such a taboo).  I pray that at least some may receive at least a little of their inheritance and reward now, and in this life on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment