Monday, September 12, 2011

Can't Please Em' All

In my perfecionnistic naivety I so often try to assume that I will please them all.  And by all I mean absolutely anyone and everyone that will ever cross my path.  And it's too bad that that isn't true.  I think most often people want to impress others and always show their best.  But there is always an outlier.  There is always someone who won't like you no matter what you do.  There is always someone better (but that's a totally different topic in and of itself).  


I guess that I could say that my biggest strength and weakness at times has been in my desire to be a true peacemaker.  There are often times that I will serve or take the blame just to keep the peace.  But too often does this get overlooked and I am left with the pain.  There is no way that I can be the savior for others.  There is only one Savior, and he was left with the pain for all of us.  But there still is value in being a peacemaker.  Its just finding the right balance that takes time.  After all, Christ is the true peacemaker.  He was and is the Savior and could he even please everyone?  Unfortunately not.


So it all seems to really come down to just letting things go.  Perfectionism is something that I have always dealt with and will probably continue to deal with.  But maybe there is some hope just admitting that I have it!  If I couldn't admit it, then there would be an epic problem!


There is some comfort in knowing that all deeds will be repaid.  God only knows when (literally).  There's no problem in putting our best foot forward and doing what we know is right.  (Even though this may be in the worst of circumstances.)  So, will I try to please everyone and anyone?  Probably, but only as it doesn't conflict or mar my moral obligations to be a good Christian and a decent gentleman.


I remember a quote and I think it was by Gordon B. Hinckley (someone correct me please if I'm wrong, and give the citation if one exists!) where he was talking to someone who was concerned by a defaming newspaper article.  His answer was, "Well, half the people that could buy a newspaper won't.  Half of the people that buy the newspaper won't ever even see the article.  Half of those that see the article won't even read it.  Half of those that read it won't even care. The half that read it and care probably won't do anything.  So by the time you get to the half that do care and will do something about it, its such a small group of people, that they don't even matter so there's no need to fret and worry."  He's saying exactly that.  Don't let your actions (perfectionism, wanting to please, etc.) be determined by others and don't worry.  Well said if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment